Today’s clever cocktail is an original from the Bottle Pro’s Cocktail Kitchen. The holidays are here and this creation pays homage to the smells of season. It is a perfect ice breaker to offer guests coming in from the cold. It warms the soul and brings holiday cheer to the imbiber.
In a shaker glass filled with ice add:
- 1 Ounce VS Cognac (we used Mason Rouge)
- ½ Ounce Apple Brandy (we used Lairds Applejack)
- ½ Ounce Potpourri Simple Syrup*
- ¼ Ounce Grand Marnier
- ¼ Ounce Sweet Vermouth (Carpano Antica Formula Please)
Shake and strain into a short tumbler over fresh ice. Garnish with an orange slice & whole star anise (lay centered over the drink).
*Potpourri Simple Syrup
In a medium saucepan add:
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat, then add:
- 5 Allspice Berries (crushed)
- 5 Pieces of Clove
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (broken into pieces)
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Simmer on low until reduced by 1/3 so it coats a spoon. Cool, strain through a fine sieve (discarding solids) and put up in a sterile glass bottle. Will keep in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.